FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
REVIEWED Blade Runner Final Cut 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: REVIEWED Blade Runner Final Cut 2007 Reply with quote

Just back from Final Cut! And I'm in a SPOILERY mood, so brace yourselves!

Seen at the Ziegfeld in NYC... one of the finest movie houses in existence, in my humble opinion. What a venue!

The new Cut is ultra clean. Sharp as a pin. And this makes the film THAT MUCH MORE BETTER.

By comparison the Directors' cut DVD is too bright and murky looking. Desaturated. Ugh. Final Cut is crystal clear, lots of subtle detail. Black blacks.

There were noticeable little changes from the Director's Cut, and I'm sure lots of other stuff I didn't notice. One of the most memorable is the new "pidgeon flies off" shot at the end, replacing (at last!) the inexplicable blue sky of previous cuts of the film.

The only other "new" shot I can remember off the top of my head is the girls dancing in the glass booths in Ridleyville, which was a famous still photo but the scene was never in the film until now.

The face replacement on Zhora's body double is pretty seamless. Supposedly Harrison Ford's son also did some "mouth replacement" so that Deckard's lip movements finally match what he's saying in the Abdul Ben Hassan scene.

Other reviews have said that the Unicorn Dream sequence is different somehow, but I didn't notice any changes or additional footage compared to the directors cut.

The sound mix seems different, with more prominent music during several sequences, which is reminiscent of the Workprint of the film. One such case is Holden's interrogation of Leon at the beginning of the film, which has prominent synth score as well as the reverb and heartbeat sound effects.

Also some throwaway lines seem to have been put back in, such as Bryant's description of Leon ("he can lift 400 pound atomic loads all day... the only way to hurt him is to KILL him"). This was just silent during the Director's Cut of the scene.

Also Bryant now says "two" replicants were "fried in an electrical field" instead of the DC's "one", which accounts for the missing replicant.

The odd out-of-sequence series of scenes in the middle of the film is still there (Zhora's death, followed by Deckard appearing to have been beaten up, and THEN Leon beats him up), except now Deckard's bruises have been digitally erased in the shots where he buys the Tsing Tao and talks to Bryant.

There is one substitution I don't agree with. Personally I'm a fan of Batty's "I want more life, fucker" line. This has been changed back to the lamer "more life father" version.

Also, on the topic of her owl, Rachel continues to say "of course it is" instead of "of course not" (as her lips say), when Deckard asks her if it's artificial.

The violence has been maxed out in this cut as well, with two shots of Batty's thumbs pressing into Tyrell's eyes, with the blood streaming down. Then Batty pulls his thumbs out!

But all the restorations are little trims and looped dialogue and such like. No major sequences are inserted such as the infamous Holden hospital scene or Tyrell's cryo crypt.

- k
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on whether there will be a wider release? I would love to see BR on the big screen.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachael wrote:
Any word on whether there will be a wider release? I would love to see BR on the big screen.

If BR:FC goes wider, I suspect Portland, OR will be one of the first places it goes, along with San Francisco, CA and Austin, TX. Major cult movie towns. Right now BR:FC has a pretty awesome per-screen average. I wouldn't be surprised if plans are being drawn up for a wider release.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average per screen for Friday and Saturday was almost half a million each. A typical blockbuster makes about 10,000 per screen for a whole weekend. Not surprising considering they are in big venues and are drawing people from other cities, but I think Warner Brothers might be smelling some dough.

At this point they only have two copies of the film on 4K digital. That limits its distribution, but they may make other copies for other venues and then they could rent those out after the run to colleges and midnight movie venues. I think the process of making the prints would take some time though and probably would not beat the DVD sets to market and then would most likely kill a wider release with new film.
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we like to dress up and go out in this town. Last time I dressed for a movie was the sing along Sound of Music. I was a sheep. an electric one.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I thought it was funny anyway... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: