FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Priest...with a BR nod

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Priest...with a BR nod Reply with quote

In the trailer about the 29 second mark there is a very BR like street scene, as well as the city itself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQupCEPnZls&feature=player_embedded

The movie combines genres at will based on just about all of my movie and comic tastes. Including Science Fiction, Vampire Horror, and even Western. The Matrix like fight scenes make me a bit unsure, but it might be a fun ride with some cool dark "Future Noir" visuals.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think it will be more like Stallone's Judge Dredd than Blade Runner.

Legion, the director's last movie was a real POS.
amfx74
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Priest Movie Reply with quote

Might be Ok, not sure about those CG creatures or the poorly done cross tattoos on their heads. City and desert scenes show promise.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, "Legion" was really, really bad Crying or Very sad so while the images seem promising, I'm afraid it will not be enough...wait and see attitude on my part Wink
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no matter how many times they try, Paul Bettanny just doesn't kick ass - he is not that type of actor.

He is an amazing actor in Master and Commander, Beautiful mind, and Knights tale. But he is professorial or the Hero's best friend, not I'm gonna get out of his way if he comes walking down the street. I'd be more scared off the sun bouncing off of his pasty white body than I would of being punched by his lady fists.

Hollywood needs to learn that you can't market a charactery actor to be the tough guy in a Action/adventure movie. Actors like Jake Gylenhall, Paul Bettany and James Macavoy will never be a Steve Mcqueen, Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood. Working out and staring off into the distance is not all it takes to fill these shoes.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was kinda creepy in "Gangster no 1"...but you're right, in general we should stop thinking that these actors can "kick asses" in action movies; at least in the olden times you were typecasted to death to the effect that the roles were almost the same (no stretching there Wink ) and these actors were doing a damn good job at it...actually, the public had no patience with "extreme actors": let's say a Robin Williams for example
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get past how far they removed this from the source material. The comic isn't perfect, but this isn't even CLOSE to the comic book.

I did not see Legion. I agree with the comments about Bettany. Didn't they try to make Jude Law a bad ass too? I mean come on, the guy is prettier than my wife.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland, note to yourself: make sure the wife doesn't see that quote
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shock - it's bad:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009274-priest/

It's funny cause this weekend "Bridesmaids" is going to make more money than this unoriginal turd.

The one positive review: "It's not terrible..." Make some space on the mantle for that one.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well...we weren't exactly entused with that one after seeing "Legion"...it was meant to happen. Paul Bettany, note to self: I will not be the main talent in any of those kinds of movies ever again Exclamation
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's insane to me that an adult human being could watch "Legion" and then give that Director MORE money to do a second movie.

Studio Executives are really disconnected from the audience and the movie making process.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...Legion made money, that is all they care about. they would insist that that makes them connected to audiences. At least more than movies like BR that take years to find their audience and don't make money.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True; budget: $26 000 000.
Gross: $46 000 000 (as of March 2010)...the suits were giddy to start that Director with another vehicule (almost the same kind of story here and same lead actor) and make as much money as the first one. Maybe we should question the audience paying to see these kinds of movies Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame me. I still haven't watched it on Netflix yet. And may never do so.

I think if a director can make movies that make good trailers, that is all they need now, but I still blame those that go to see these movies before getting feedback, or even more so the ones that seem to like it. Of course when I was a kid, I went to see this tripe too.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the profits are broken down between participants involved (Theatres, backend deals for cast, producers, and director) Legion did lose money. Also you have to take into account the 10-20 million (conservative estimate) on top of the budget spent on advertising.

Blade Runner was a very high budget big studio movie in it's day - with Star Wars like expectations for it's box office return- unlike legion which is extremely low budget and still could not find an audience.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising is a part of that quoted budget usually. Distribution I believe is as well. That is also only domestic gross, with worldwide I am sure it more than doubled it's money. They actually try to hide their profits as much as possible to keep from having to pay too much in percentages afterwards. Believe me, they made a ton of money with that film.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prints and advertising is not part of a Production Budget, although it should be. They heavily marketed "Legion" so there is no way they spent less than 10 Mil.

Priest just opened to less than $15 Million. Budget was $60 which was more than double "Legion", and it has opened to less than it, even though ticket prices are higher due to the 3D.

Law of Diminishing returns. Keep giving this filmmaker more money to earn less. Only in Hollywood.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
It's insane to me that an adult human being could watch "Legion" and then give that Director MORE money to do a second movie

I watched both these films and it was kind of obvious that writing and directing were not this guys strong points. I guessed he was probably a visual effects type trying to wing it. Then I read his Wiki.
We need some new stories devised by real writers and directed by people who never wanted to do anything but direct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: