FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Favorite film landmark...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Favorite film landmark... Reply with quote

Anybody on this group visit any of the locations in the film?
I have seen the Ennis house drivin down (FRANKLIN , i think) looks good still looming over Hollywood...
And I found the tunnel when I was trying to get outta the freeway traffic...I was thrilled to roll through it the girl I was with didn't know what the hell I was goin on about hahah , I dont live even close to that grand ol' town but when on holiday I like to get out there as much as possible...
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started thinking about this and realized how tough a question it was!

The hard part about it was the fact that most (if not all) of the locations were not orginal to BR but appeared in other films and productions!

-The E Brown house was the original "House on Haunted Hill" starring Vincent Price.

-Union Station is an original film noir location used in numerous (if not countless) films. The same is true of the Bradbury.

-The (3rd st?) tunnel has also been used in numerous films.

I have personally been to these locations (except the EBH) long before BR was made. I guess that spoiled me a bit. For instance; I knew the Bradbury from the Outer Limits and City of Angels. Just think; I was in the Bradbury [i]before[/i] Deckard!

I can't think of a single location that was original to BR, or even one that BR first made famous.

Maybe you can.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to the Brown house. However, I've been everywhere else, including Warner Bros' New York Street which was transformed into "Ridleyville" during the shoot.

Favorite location among them? Union Station. It is closest to its original state than any of the other locales at this point. It's alive. It's vital. It's vibrant. It's the one location I've seen the most.

However, Downtown Los Angeles has very BR-esque places that never appeared in the movie. There is the Bunker Hill business district, which is turning into the Bunker Hill residential district now that whole skyscrapers are being transformed into loft housing. There's Little Tokyo, which should have been in BR but didn't make it. There's Chinatown, again, which should have been in BR but didn't make it. And the new part of the LA Convention Center, which actually is more like Logan's Run than BR...a '70s idea about what the future was supposed to look like. I think it wasn't even on the drawing board in 1980-82. It opened in 1993. But it sure was fun attending Celebration IV there, and Anime Expo is going to be there next year. It is very, very Sci-Fi.

There's also the Triforium, a son-et-lumiere sculpture which has been in sad disrepair for years. It's being revived now...the old bell carillon works again, and the PA works. The lights flash randomly...the sound/light sync is still not working. What it needs is a modern computer retrofit, something which is likely to be less expensive than trying to revive the ancient (1975!) computer system. Again, it didn't appear in BR but there's something very BR-esque about it.

The Walt Disney Concert Hall has a neat aesthetic that is very evocative. And this brand new building that is right across the street from City Hall, I think it's Caltrans headquarters but don't quote me...looks almost like it had its origins in the model shop where the Tyrell Corporation was built.

I am giving an open invite to anyone who visits LA. PM me here first, and I'm willing to give tours of BR locations and BR-esque locations.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pointed out to Ridley when he wanted to use the Bradbury building, that it had been in so many films and TV shows before that it would be too recognizable. His reply was"...not the way I was going to use it"*, and he was right.

*from Special Effects; Creating Movie Magic by Christopher Finch
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: TOUR... Reply with quote

I may take you up on that tour next time i'm in the area....sounds fun!
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triforium? You mean they did actually name that thing??

When it was new everyone just called it "the laser". I think they fired it once and shut it down, covering the hole with plywood. It's anyone's guess if it is even under there anymore.

The same idea was sold to Phoenix a few years later. They had less hesitation firing up theirs.

Vegas just said 'no'. LOL

Personally, my favorite location wasn't actually shown in the film. Down the street from the Bradbury, there is a building in serious disrepair called The Arcade or something. It is what the outside of what the Bradbury was supposed to be architecturally.

Last time I saw it (in 2003), it was all boarded up.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember my open invite for a tour?

Well, I decided to write the whole thing up and put it up as a web page. This way, if you want to just take an armchair tour it's right there for you.

One thing I found out while putting this together: the Ennis House is closed until the restoration process is finished. So I included a stop at the recently restored Hollyhock House, which is less than a mile away from the Ennis House. I will update the document when the Ennis House reopens for visitors.

Enjoy the ride...
http://www.msgeek.com/brtour/
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! Very nice!
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Masao.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: