FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Offworld 2019 C model list of upgrades?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Offworld 2019 C model list of upgrades? Reply with quote

Hi guys!

yesterday I bought a "C" model from Offworld and it should be in transit as we speak (hopefully)

Now I've been reading a LOT of the forums topics on the gun models and details in the last few days and still need to read quite some more but I haven't found a comprehensive list of modifications needed to be done to the offworld C model to make is as accurate as it can get.

I would appreciate if any of you can make a detailed list of parts needed to be upgraded on it and if possible a lits of the people I need to contact to get the upgraded parts?

I have a TON of reference images of the real gun to match the colors and the patina effect on the metal (have a rugger singlesix .22 gun in my collection with exactly the same level of patina aging on the metal and the same colors as Deckard's gun) but my inexpert eye my fail in detecting differences in some parts of the gun's body.

thanks a Lot guys!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your build/transformations, I'm sure there are a lot of people here that can help you with your project. Don't forget to post pics of your gun (it's always appreciated Wink ).
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure will.

getting the right parts and material in my country is a hard thing always so I'll do my best.

the first thing I'll do is repaint it accurately and weather it to movie reference specs.

I'll also add the green working leds on the side rod with the 2 white cables to the battery pack. (the cables seen in the movie prior to Roy breaking Rick's fingers) as I´m positive those 2 cables where intended for the 2 green leds in the gun´s side rod.

I´m looking for reviews on the gun to get specifics on the prop and what it does but so far I find nothing.

if anyone here owns a c type, can you please tell me what the prop is capable of doing? like: do the triggers work? does it makes sounds? does the clasp and bolt work? can you open and slide the bullet drum out? does it comes with replica bullets?... stuff like that! Wink

sorry if I´m being overtly enthusiastic but I´m stoked to finally be able to own a replica of this gun! Laughing
Photech
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deckard,

Be sure to read my post,

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1552

Tis the story of an Offworld build.

You may also like to contact Don Parker for machined alloy parts if you are unable to make your self.

Good luck with the build I look forward to watching your progress.

Bob
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the white wires were intented for the green led...as you saw on the real screen used gun put up for sale (it's up to you to put them there or not) good luck with your quest and your build.
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent Don a PM!

your build is amazing Photec. however your gun was an older model. mine is a "C" and is, supposedly, more accurate.

I'm still to see it and I won't get it until about 3 weeks from now so until then and that I can post detailed pics of the kit I won't be able to really tell what pieces to change.

Ive been searching the web for reviews on the gun but apart form a lot of text I can't seem to find any detailed pics of the actual C model gun to make comparisons with the original.

I wanted to do this comparison to start searching for the right screws and bolts and smaller pieces I may be able to find in here, there's a hardware store called "The house of the screw" (yeah I know hahaha Laughing ) which supposedly have more than 10.000 types of screws in stock.

I think I saw that the gun can open the drum and even move the bolt mechanism in the Steyr top.

I'm wondering how hard might it be to adapt the working mechanism of a blank firing toy gun or at least the sounds of an electronic gun to AT LEAST have firing sound.

problem is that until I have the gun in my hand all of this is pure daydreaming. Laughing
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 2019C model on ebay right now with a half-dozen pictires, if that's any help .....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-Runner-Blaster-M2019C-Prop-Replica-Off-World-Inc-/320593000740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa4d4f924#ht_699wt_933
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that´s the one I bought hehe.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know , I'm the only one who has added a 'working' firing SPFX to any Blade Runner Blaster, so I feel competent to comment , to mimic or replicate the on screen firing Blaster legally and more importantly safely !, all the ones of mine that I've built over the years, are based around using a 'donor' Plug Cap Firing replica gun , most are now not available in Japan anymore, so it is getting more and more difficult to actually do. As you probably know the 'offworld' is similar to the Hartford - who did do a firing version based around a .38 replica police special - you cannot get a .44 PFC firing replica, as far as I know any place in the world, so you have to use a .38 since the 'offworld' would need extensive re-working to make it 'work'! - so to speak it would be cheaper to buy a Coyle or a Sidkit and use that, as it would work built around a PFC replica (( as I know as I've done both )) ,the PFC would cost you $495 appx and I'd have to charge $500 to $750+ to do all the work , if you really want a 'firing' replica get Rich to build you a 'special' built around a real CA Bulldog , now that's what you call a real working replica !! and it would be cheaper too !!!
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... to make a real bullet firing replica would be cheaper than adapting the mechanism of a Plug Cap Firing replica gun??

wow, just how different are things in there!

I mean, In here you can buy cap blank firing guns in any market for less than a dollar. the lank caps you can find everywhere for even less!

what I would really need to do is to adapt the already working mechanism of the trigger, hammer and drum into the body of the M2019C and make sure the blast of the powder and reidue inside the plastic pieces wont ruin the materials.

again "this is purely academic" to quote Eldon Tyrell but the idea is sound to me. I'll try to get a match for a .38 caliber cap firing gun and try to adapt it to the innards of the off-world. If I see its futile then the testing would have only cost me a buck and a half.

I already talked to Rich and told him I'll do my best to buy a replica from him as I REALLY like the idea of having a real working gun BUT that WILL take me time. until then (and hoping he's still making them then in that probable future) I'll play around with my M2019C.

Not saying that the 700 bucks you are asking for the modification are not well valued but it would be prohibitive and irresponsible of me to spend that amount when I can try and make my own mod for less than 10 bucks. I do appreciate the offer tho!

I also appreciate the insight and info, your post gave me good ideas on witch to play around! thanks a lot my friend!
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is both different in mechanics and in more importantly in the material used to make the 'offworld' , you're right in principal in your approach and I would not for a second discourage you in trying , try to find a .38 Police Special PFG ((which MUST be forward venting - if you don't get a FW vent it will not work !!)) which is probably the closest match to the CA Bulldog , as the "donor" will provide the inner gun frame and handle and the trigger and hammer mechanism - your biggest and most difficult problem is 'bobbing' the ejector rod , to allow the donor to load and fire, if this is not done accurately enough you will find the gun will not work. And if you try to use any other type, the gasses that build up could cause the gun to explode which obviously is extremely dangerous . Essentially , you strip the donor to the basic gun frame ( take off the barrel - as you'll need a new hollow .44 one tapped and drilled to allow you to fit it to the upper reciever and ammo box - grind down the hammer to match , remove the trigger guard and grind flat the frame where you've just taken off the guard, now drill and tap the frame to allow you to fit all the additional 'cosmentic' parts back , add a fixed dummy front trigger - re- assemble adding outer handle, grips , left and right shrouds, upper reciever with bolt and end bolt cap front and rear fit ammo housing and sight rod All that little lot takes a lot of time and labour ,I charge $25 dollars an hour, so you can work out how long it takes to do - to make it work and work properly that's why it cost so much , there is no cheap and cheerful quick way to do it .

You will not be able to make a realistic firing replica for 10 bucks as you put it, as you need to buy a true replica "Plug Fire Cap" Gun , not a kid's toy working with paper caps or a cap gun , but one that uses brass replica bullets ( that's where the PFC caps go in - inside the bullet - that fit a proper firing chambered gun that works just like a 'real' one) except it's legal to own and fire and don't put you fingers or hand in front of the barrel when firing a PFC as you will hurt yourself !!
Photech
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no big difference between the "C" and the earlier model.
Paint color,
extra led on bottom of the ammo clip,
switch on the side,
bolt leaver cut away on the side cover,
weaver knob
and grub screws on the clip housing.

All pretty minor upgrades of which I had already done to my own earlier version. I just don't understand their thinking. Going to all that trouble of releasing a "new" version and not adding LED clips around the leds,
Addressing the horrid paint job, or shipping it with the new Styer upper.

All that said it is a good place to start a full mod. But once you start on that path there will not be much left of the original unit when your done.

Good luck with the build I will be following it with interest.
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propsjonny:

as I said, I wasn't meaning to diminish your work. and I fully understand the rates.

and I understand better the working of the type of blank shooting replica you are talking about and yeah it's not the same i was thinking on using.

We'll see what happens once I have the actual gun in my hand.

Photec:
As to why they would ship it without the steyr receiver it's simple. you already have a 300 bucks prop. if you want an upgrade you but it but if you feel happy with what you have then it's ok.

it's a choice whether to have a 300 or 400 bucks prop.

I'm not that interested in a 100% replica, If I was I would've massed the cash for a RAC of a Sid or something like that, I'm sorry if I'm not that specific but I'm new to the BR prop collecting world.

Thing is... complicated.

I want a good prop. that will look good on my collectibles shelf in my collection display room. I want to make things to it to make it look as closer as I can WITHOUT really spending ridiculous amounts of money on it (for that I'll try to get me a RAC next year but that will depend upon how well I do in extras) and that is way I was trying to get a specific bit by bit list of the changes needed to be made on the M2019C so I can go slowly and at the pace my pocket can manage LOL Laughing

I'll be sure to be posting bit by bit my work on the Offworld, from painting and patina weathering to small tidbits like the led thingines and that.

I guess I'll try to follow Photec's work on his own offworld and try to match my gun to the actual "Precious photos" (love to quote Roy Laughing ) of the real prop that Rich put on this forum as best as I can.

I understand this is a "job for many days to come" as I'm sure I'll be working on making changes to it for many months to come, maybe years.

I'm no stranger to the "this thing took me years to mod and I'm still at it" thing because I own a Darth Vader (ANH Style) replica suit that I've been working on for over the 4 years that I have been a 501st Legion member.

addressing helmet changes in angles and details, changing greeblies in the control boxes and things like that.

so yeah. It'll be a slow progress project and I'll address every thing in the gun in a "once detected/until finished moded" basis. Meaning I won't try to do several modification at a time on it as I want to have the thing as fully displayable as I can between change and change.

baby steps... that's the way.

I'll post several detailed pics and a full review from a "Inexpert" eye point of view and then I'll try to make a FULL list of the things I see are off on it so ANY new guys coming through here wanting to do the same thing have a fully detailed list of changes to follow in order to achieve a correct replica from the M2019C.

at least that's the plan.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make was the 'offworld' whilst being a reasonable model (with all it's mistakes - as has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum) is that it's not easy to upgrade, to a 'working' model and by 'working' I mean 'firing' ,you'd end up changing it quite a bit as you'd have to bolt everything on to the donor and you use less that 10% of the parts from the original 'Offworld' . For what it's worth I'd personally buy a very good PFC foward venting Police Special .38 Replica and a Coyle LE kit and build it from the ground up you'll still end up with quite a bit of the Coyle leftover but visually it'd look and feel exactly like the film original - but please don't let that stop you experimenting - that's how I got mine to a firing version after first starting with a Coyle resin version 4 some years ago .
Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! thanks a lot for the insight man! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: