FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
spare magazine for sale? WTB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: spare magazine for sale? WTB Reply with quote

Need a magazine for homemade blaster project. I tried and tried, but nothing I can come up with looks even halfway decent...
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what? forget it. I started this project of building a blaster out of 100% junk, I'm going to finish that way.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare SidKit metal one if you need it. Please show us what you end up doing. It sounds intriguing.

Andy
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Andy, I am interested in that metal mag for a real (resin and metal) blaster I am going to build next week.

I was invited to a party/screening of Blade Runner at a local theater last week. I am an actor and propbuilder in my spare time, and it was suggested that I needed to build a blaster for the party. I had about 4 hours to do it.
The only materials I had to work with were what I had in my garage.
I did have an old space gun toy, some PVC tubing and aluminum.
After 4 hours, I didn't finish, but I did have this:

The next day I thought I'd go ahead and finish it, but coming up with the parts and pieces has been quite a challenge. I don't have any flat plastic sheeting to work with. Here it is today:

I still need to fabricate a baseplate for the magazine. It must be removable to change batteries.

It's definitely a junkyard blaster.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad scratch build effort , plastic sheeting is available from most model and hobby shops and also over the internet - so you could build up the handle of the blaster and the gripframes out of sheet plastic and pack it with any form of sandable car body filler ( bondo) and file and sand to shape than paint and finish .
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that, thanks. I have built lots of prop guns, but when they are purely imaginary, there is no "standard" to compare them to, so nobody can tell if it's "good" or not.

I once built a "space rifle" out of an old wooden toy that looked like a springfield 03; cut the barrel off and replaced it with two metal tubes (from a broken telescope frame) over/under in the front. Side-mounted 30 round M14 mag, bicycle seat frame for buttstock and voila...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this type of stuff. I wish I had pictures of the ones I used to make.

Can't wait to see more.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all...for any weapon (or shaping any weapon) MDF is the one material you want to use ( a good saw, some files, sandpaper and elbow grease are all you need). You can always paint the wood or clad it with plastic sheet. With spray can you'll have to sand your MDF between coat with 300 grit sandpaper (no sanding when using the plastic sheet).
Another media to use is blue insulating foam (they sell it at various thickness: 3/4, 1 inch, 1 1/2 inches, etc) same as the MDF but lighter...shapes fast with files and sandpaper, can be clad in plastic sheeting (the foam doesn't melt when using contact cement), just be carefull when painting: the foam will melt! Use an acrylic spray paint only to act as a barrier and then you could apply any regular spray after that.
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of MDF. I have seen ABS sheets for sale..
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDF is a compressed wood fibre board , you can usually get it at most wood stockists harware store or builders supplies , usually used as a backing board for plastering or for quick build furniture covered by wood veneer.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of fiber boards out there: some called "Beaver Barf" because of the size of the wood chips used and others, like MDF, is basically wood dust + special glue = great wood to transform and shape; either by filing/sanding the piece, can be sanded to a very smooth finish and can be painted by hand, or spray-paint, varnish, lacquer, as Propsjonnyb said you can also build furniture and apply wood veneer on top with contact-cement. MDF is also used as form/buck in the process of vacu-forming with pieces of Perspex, plastic cards or ABS...The variations are almost infinite
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: