FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Whiskey Bottle????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Whiskey Bottle???? Reply with quote

Okay, after reading a lot this is what I have learned. Please correct anything

1.)The whiskey bottel is very hard to re-create???

2.)A few have been offered but they go for around $300???
( That's for an empty glass bottle that has been reproduced)

3.)Currently there is knowone offering an inexpensive Whiskey Bottle??? (Despite my building some and buying other props from prop makers around the world that are a hundred times more complicated and better than the real props and not all that expensive. Again we are talking about a glass bottle that's empty????????)

Do I have this correct????
ironfist
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. more like really expensive!!! Like need 5 grand start up cost.

2. that last one on ebay was empty and cracked! with all stickers and a cap and it went for 570!

3. Yes you are correct. We can make light sabers and blaster but are stumped by glass??????????
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's also the fact that so far the original bottle hasn't been sourced.

But then again, there's nothing quite like pouring a nice double into a Cibi glass from that bottle.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI: to re-create an object depends on many factors:
1) Do you know how the original was built?
2) A number of plastic copies (vacu-formed) of that bottle were made for the movie; they all leaked!
3) To manufacture a real glass bottle is very expensive (just the steel mold could be around 5K, more if made outside of China).
4) Since there's a small number of bottles the price will continue to rise in the future, even for not-so-perfect bottles Crying or Very sad
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem lies in the bottle shape as it has to be blown into a mold - to produce even one bottle - you need a mold and a glass mold is very expensive, around $3,000 to $5,000 to produce. So assuming you can get a mold made , you now have a choice, either a mouth blown bottle or a manufactured one.
Mouth blown means each will be very expensive and you can't produce too many, as your mold will wear out , mouth blown prices at appx $ 300 + each and about 175 to 250 from your mold assuming 10 to 20 % failures, if you are very lucky and can commission anyone to do it!

Go to a glass bottle factory and the mold cost is still the same , but you have to commit to at least 10,000 bottles before anyone will look at doing a run, so although the bottle will cost a few cents , you are still looking at a heavy financial investment up front before, you get your bottle .
Now you got to dress it - labels,caps and seals - Simple you say ! oh no its not!! artwork plus materials plus fabrication, all add to the overhead ,and push the costs up - just for a simple glass bottle !

The original probably was a commercial item , the prop dept bought a few, lashed up a bit of artwork and viola! the bottle as it appears on set, used in other films too - 'Annie' as everyone will tell you ,but I'm sure I've seen it in others over the last 25 years , certainly with that many fans looking, it is definitely out of production now!!

Could I cast a clear resin bottle - absolutely!! pay for the mold and I'll run a few off - rotocasting each , please pay for 10 kg of high grade silicon at $35 to $50 USD a kilo and a rotocasting machine at $6000 minimum - so that's $11,000 investment - just to produce a single copy bottle ! and you couldn't even put whiskey in it !!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Big difference on what kind of replica can be manufactured in your garage/basement as opposed one that has to be made in a factory. Even if you can get a factory run done, you still have to worry about the license holders stopping your run before it starts. For the record the Elfin Knights Project is still working on their version if they can get enough interest up front.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a quote for a solid, one piece clear plastic machined bottle (no way to pour anything from that baby ): $ 685.00 Shocked
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Yep, Big difference on what kind of replica can be manufactured in your garage/basement as opposed one that has to be made in a factory. Even if you can get a factory run done, you still have to worry about the license holders stopping your run before it starts. For the record the Elfin Knights Project is still working on their version if they can get enough interest up front.

Andy

How much would the Elfin Knights bottle be??? Crying or Very sad
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably in all likelihood, not any less than the OB bottle when it was first sold, before it started to appreciate in value. Just a guess tho.

sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would be content with a clear resin bottle, you could do a slush cast (hand-done rotocasting, essentially). You'd still tie up hundreds of dollars in making a sculpt and subsequent mold. Plus hundreds more for the resin it would take, plus your graphics. I think the bottom line is this is a tough prop. I think Paul's effort and end product are commendable. I think very few people will ever tackle this (successfully) again.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the final cost was for a bottle from the one successful run???
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that depends. Are you talking the final cost from the OB run, or some of the final prices off of eBay auctions for it?

kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I had no idea the OB bottles were such a sought after and expensive item. I feel fortunate to own two of them (not for sale!)
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Well that depends. Are you talking the final cost from the OB run, or some of the final prices off of eBay auctions for it?

I was wondering about the people who signed up for the run. I assume there was an interest list before the run.

I may be able to get a cracked one for $250. I am wondering if it's worth it???? It says there is a small crack in the "shoulder". I have no idea what the shoulde of a bottle is
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be worth it, without a doubt. That is well below what a cracked one went for on ebay.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial run started at $80 until half the bottles showed up smashed, then I believe they went up to $140. the highest ebay price I have seen so far was about $800, but the most recent have sold for just around $500. Who knows what they could have gone for if the economy hadn't tanked right before these were put up for sale?

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O.B. run will keep interested parties ready to pay the price now and into the future (unless someone knows from which country /manufacturer that model comes from) I can see the price of that bottle going up year after year...
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, unless someone would manage to make more of them they'll only appreciate. Especially considering that the few that are in existence are mostly in the hands of collectors who have no interest in parting with them.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethb6025 wrote:
I agree, unless someone would manage to make more of them they'll only appreciate. Especially considering that the few that are in existence are mostly in the hands of collectors who have no interest in parting with them.

Part with it?? and go back to drinking my scotch out of the plain boring old bottle?

sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I hear that, mine's a fixture. No way I'd part with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: