FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Latest Whiskey Bottle Thread Explanation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Latest Whiskey Bottle Thread Explanation Reply with quote

Hi Everybody:

I just wanted to explain what happened to Rachel's thread. Andy had moved it to the Guides area for a discussion (which I'll go into in a moment). When I moved it back, we ended up with 2 copies. That seemed a little unnecessary, so I tried to delete one of them. Unfortunately, when I deleted the one, they both disappeared. Deleting the thread was not done deliberately.

Now, on to why it was moved for discussion:

The staff would prefer it if community members didn't post links to items for sale by banned members. In this case, when Paul left, his attitude (as posted on his website) seemed to indicate that he was done here anyway and no longer wanted to be a part of the community. That's fine, he's entitled to his feelings and opinions and we harbor no ill will towards him. However, if he feels that way, then he really shouldn't be able to use the community as a marketplace for his product through his friends or girlfriend.

This is not to say that you can no longer discuss his work, or show off the bottle that you bought and have now completed, or even to sell off your copy of the bottle, if you so choose. Those are all still fine. We just feel that shilling for him here isn't really appropriate. We hope that you all understand.

Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have regarding this (or any other) decision.

Thanks!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems fair to me Paul.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Seems fair to me Paul.

I agree.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this bottle three days after it was listed
for auction and posted the link here because no one
else had.
I often do this with significant BR items on Ebay
that are buy it nows.
If letting people know about an iconic BR prop on a BR
website is a hassle, I will just keep things to myself in the future.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general we don't have a problem with people posting links to auctions, even to banned members as long as it doesn't become apparent that the banned member is using the person to help sell stuff for them. We don't think it is fair for a banned member to profit off the board, but at the same time don't want to deprive members of information.

It was the fact that the bottle was posted by his girlfriend and as "his" auction by name that made us react to it. She also has not posted here for any other reason for a long time. We actually are still in discussion on what final rule we make about this type of thing, so it isn't set in stone. I actually moved the auction as a means to save it and let the other Mod's review it. It was my original opinion to let it go, but we did have concerns.

I welcome all well thought out opinions and ideas on this that could help with this in the future.

Andy
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with offworld66 on this one guys. its such a huge deal ... there are so few of these to go around and so many folks, for so many years, have pined to have a "Bottle" ... despite what happened.

yes i am biased, as this is for me - the hero blaster. it was the one prop i sought after so much ... but was sure i would never have nor afford it even if it was discovered. i even wrote Johnny Walker every year for over 5 years.

so i was thinking, if it is in fact such an iconic piece, should the rest of the gang here be left to go elsewhere to find it? i have mine and am happy but i know i wouldn't stop at anything to get the prop i wanted .... i'd go elsewhere - even to the RPF. i am worried if we do this kind of thing here at our spot - folks will do just that. and thats ok, but of all the forums i am part of, this is the only one i check first and last thing each day. its a special place.

having said that, i dont write the rules, nor do i know the whole story, but i might speak for others here who are of the same sentiment in that those things that caused the stir, are less important to us than furthering our hobby and all that comes with it. perhaps we should (as we have in the past) have a poll - by and of the community - to decide if these things should or should not be.

thats my tupence, thanks for listening.
and happy TGIF everyone!
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to contrast some of the RPF's member guidelines for some perspective and discussion*...

The RPF wrote:
Members may not shill on any part of the site. This includes posting items for sale or coordinating sales for other people or promoting sites, services or products for banned members or known recasters.

Please refrain from the discussion of live or pending auctions that are not your own. Auctions for items of interest to the board should be discussed AFTER the auction has closed. In the event where you suspect an auction item (or seller) is fraudulent, posting is permitted as a warning to other members.

*I realize that this is not the RPF and it is much more laid back here. That's one of the reasons I like it here (that and the fact that it doesn't log me off if I am away from the keyboard for more than 3 minutes Laughing ).
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photek wrote:
i'm with offworld66 on this one guys. its such a huge deal ... there are so few of these to go around and so many folks, for so many years, have pined to have a "Bottle" ... despite what happened.

yes i am biased, as this is for me - the hero blaster. it was the one prop i sought after so much ... but was sure i would never have nor afford it even if it was discovered. i even wrote Johnny Walker every year for over 5 years.

so i was thinking, if it is in fact such an iconic piece, should the rest of the gang here be left to go elsewhere to find it? i have mine and am happy but i know i wouldn't stop at anything to get the prop i wanted .... i'd go elsewhere - even to the RPF. i am worried if we do this kind of thing here at our spot - folks will do just that. and thats ok, but of all the forums i am part of, this is the only one i check first and last thing each day. its a special place.

having said that, i dont write the rules, nor do i know the whole story, but i might speak for others here who are of the same sentiment in that those things that caused the stir, are less important to us than furthering our hobby and all that comes with it. perhaps we should (as we have in the past) have a poll - by and of the community - to decide if these things should or should not be.

thats my tupence, thanks for listening.
and happy TGIF everyone!

Hundred percent agree with Paul and Tim and i will add that what bother me the more is censorship hidden behind so called rules of the board
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, let's bash the RPF some more. I love the mentality, "I don't like it, but if it suits my needs, I'll use it....."
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repdetect wrote:
Hundred percent agree with Paul and Tim and I will add that what bother me the more is censorship hidden behind so called rules of the board

I'm not sure if this is aimed at us here, or the RPF. If it's at us, I think that you misunderstood our stance on this. We're not against one of the members posting up a sale that they stumble across (even if it is Paul's). To us, that's okay. What we objected to here was Paul's girlfriend shilling for him on the board. He was banned for cause and stated on a number of occasions that he was through with the board anyway. We felt that, given that information, having his girlfriend post up his auctions was wrong. That's why we did what we did. It wasn't about hating Paul (we don't) or about limiting our members' access to cool stuff (it isn't). Completely deleting the thread was an accident and was never our intention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: