FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Nostromo Building thread, tips and tricks....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb, that turned out really nice indeed! Quite an acheivement JTP, it's nice to have a kit of the Nostromo available.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Space Jockey! The actual time and material investment has taking longer than I wanted, but the kit is much improved now.. and he hulls are coming out awesome! in fact, I have redone almost 50% of the molds now! the ones still left are in good condition..so no big hurry yet on those!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job JTP, glad to have another model-maker on board Very Happy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtparker wrote:
Here is a pic of Freds Kit almost ready to go. I have 2 more items to cast, and box it up.. I did a complete new hull for him today... 88 ounces of resin.. So it is Solid... and actually even though it used more material, it is a better way to go. Now trimming pieces!

many parts are now made with new molds, and I have solved many molding problems to make a higher quality kit.

(words are useless in this case !)

Fred
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about photographing a finished model so we can see how it looks put together? It would be interesting to see side-by-sides with the Halcyon model to see what the differences are too...

BTW, has anyone seen this on ebay:
NOSTROMO 4.4 foot model

[/img]
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the problem.. Mine is only about 65% finished cos I am so busy making mols and parts for the kits Sad The port nacellle is not even on yet Sad
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that that Nostromo is scratch built...Lot's of work went into that one Shocked nice indeed.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about that JT; take your time, give us a few updates, and when you're done let us know. In regards to painting the model at completion, I think that restoration of the original NOSTROMO website has some good images of it - even in the condition that it is in, the original paint job is still intact enough to see how it should look...

Regardless, we can wait patiently until you're ready...
Havoc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Woof! Reply with quote

Holy cow! That is some AMAZIN' work, JT!!! Bee-you-tiful!!!

I also have one of the original AEF Nostromo kits --- I think it was the most I ever spent on a model! --- and it was a little rough in some spots...

You have done some incredible work --- your dedication and artistry are superb!!

Please keep up the great work --- I hope to purchase one of the new kits from you in the not-too-distant future!

As a newbie here, I gotta say that this is a truly great site with a wealth of knowledge and photographic reference! Woof. What a discovery...er, I mean, "Nostromo" of course. Wink

Lastly, has anyone sketched or built any other ships from the "Alien" universe? I'd love to see other tugs, freighters and warships, all with that bigazz dual honkin' engine design... The Nostromo is truly one of my favorite designs and I would love to see other craft reflecting the same design ethic.

Keep up the great work, JT!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Johnny B; as you have seen, you're now part of a group of good people
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the propsummit!!!!!!

can you post any pics of the original? I have never seen one before.
they were so rare, and I would love to see an original AEF designs kit!
Havoc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, Joberg and JT,

Thanks for the welcome aboard!! Yep --- this is obviously a great group of people here!!!

Sure, JT, I will post pictures of the original AEF Designs Nostromo --- at least I HOPE that it is an original! Rolling Eyes

Always wanted the "big" Nostromo kit from the second I saw it listed in an AEF Designs flier back when AEF was producing their "Alien/Aliens" line of figures (have a bunch of those, but not all)... Alas, instead of the kit, I got a refund and was pretty disappointed... Probably fifteen years later, having moved to LA from NYC, I came across a dealer with one on his table --- shocker! Especially the price! Shocked But I had to have it, so I took the plunge...and this was before a wife, a house, and a kid, so it was easier for me to eat cereal three meals a day in order to swing it!

As you no doubt know all too well, JT, the AEF kit is good-sized but required a lot of work and I just haven't had the time to devote to it. Honestly, the idea of building your Nostromo 2.0 sounds a lot more appealing with all of the hard work and awesome corrections that you have made!!

Ya know, the 35th scale line of "Aliens" figures were truly cool, but it would have been great to see the entire Nostromo crew done in this scale as well. I know AEF had a lot of big plans for kits from both films, but they somehow lost the license. Anybody have the details of what happened with this deal?

Absolutely on the pictures of the original kit, JT. I'm up to my eyeballs on a deadline this week (as well as the wife's birthday) , so I'll try to pull the kit down over the weekend and snap some pix of it. Might take me about a week. And if you would please bear with me as I have never posted any photos on line before! Confused

And when you get a chance, JT, can you PM me with the cost of the new kit --- don't think I can swing it right now, but I really want to start putting some dough away for it.

Thanks, amigos!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Havoc,

Andy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Havoc, I cannot wait to see it.How much was it by the way?
There were only about a dozen produced as far as anyone can tell. In my kit, you will find many redone parts, corrected docking module and nacelles, addition of the bottom Thruster module and other things. You may be better off just letting me cast you the corrected parts. Do you have the 2-piece hull as well? I know that was a problem as well. I may be able to save you some bling here.
I do the new hull solid resin, There was a warping problem with the Original AEF molds that I have (they were 25 years old) so I had to redo those as well. Let me know if this may be an option for you!.
Havoc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to be aboard, Andy, thanks! Heck of a good crew here!!

JT, I banged off a few quick shots of my AEF Nostromo. Very down and dirty, but I'll try to download 'em and post them up later... As to the cost of the kit, as I remember it, it was somewhere between $200.00 and $250.00 and I definitely could not afford it! Rolling Eyes But how often do you get a chance to law yer paws on a Holy Grail kit, ya know...? As I mentioned, there's always the possibility that this was a recast, so I can't be 100% not having purchased it directly from AEF.

It is a pale green resin and is pretty filthy with all sorts of chemical gunk and gloop. Going to go broke on Simple Green when it comes time to clean it up! Yep, JT, the hull is in two sections, top and bottom. Let me know if there are any specific spots you want me to photograph.

Funny the instructions, which are a little crude, do not mention AEF Designs at all. Again, give me a bit of time, JT, and I'll scan 'em in if you'd like. There is kind of a neat blue-print-like drawing on the cover of the box.

And yes indeed, casting replacement parts does sound like a bling-saving option! Thanks, JT, you rock!! We'll have to talk...

If you folks would, please permit me a rookie question as to posting photos: when I've got my photos do I just cut and past them right into this field? Again, will try to get these up tonight --- and if the quality stinks I will try to re-shoot later in the week.

Slightly off-topic... Has anyone ever corresponded with Rob Cobb (or Chris Foss, for that matter) regarding the development of the Nostromo, Narcissus et al? Always hoping to bump into him out here in L.A. Laughing Three of my most cherished books are Colorvision, the Alien Photonovel and the Book of Alien. Oh, and Geiger's Alien, of course.

Lastly, the new Issue of Sci Fi & Fantasy Modeller features Bill Pearson's work on "Moon" (good film which has a look and feel like it could take place in the Weyland Yutani universe) along with an article on Geiger's Space Jockey. Hoping to pick it up soon!

Okay, back to it...

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havoc wrote:

If you folks would, please permit me a rookie question as to posting photos: when I've got my photos do I just cut and past them right into this field? Again, will try to get these up tonight --- and if the quality stinks I will try to re-shoot later in the week.

I'll try to find the procedure I sent to another new member a few weeks ago... Hope I didn't delete this PM... (cross your finguers, just in case !)

Quote:
Slightly off-topic... Has anyone ever corresponded with Rob Cobb (or Chris Foss, for that matter) regarding the development of the Nostromo, Narcissus et al? Always hoping to bump into him out here in L.A. Laughing Three of my most cherished books are Colorvision, the Alien Photonovel and the Book of Alien. Oh, and Geiger's Alien, of course.

Ron Cobb lives in Australia. I've tried many times to contact him with the help of various people, alas each time the paths leading to him ended nowhere...

By the way, here are a few of my most cherished ALIEN books (bought in 1979 / 1980) !!!

Quote:
Lastly, the new Issue of Sci Fi & Fantasy Modeller features Bill Pearson's work on "Moon" (good film which has a look and feel like it could take place in the Weyland Yutani universe) along with an article on Geiger's Space Jockey. Hoping to pick it up soon!

Okay, back to it...

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

Great news regarding the new issue of SCIFI & Fantasy Modeling... and BTW, WELCOME Johnny !

Fred
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your information.

In regards to what is on your original model, as far as the "gunk" that is on it, I would not have a clue to what it is. I cast three parts out of one polyurethane mold that was 25 years old, and the mold literally fell apart. I was lucky I had a plug to remold.

Let me describe briefly what I have done to improve the kit.

Here is a pic of Freds Model, the first new version. This has taken me many monthsm and I still have a couple small parts to redo.

Here is a one-piece hull made with 90 ounces of resin, solid cast, weighs a ton. but it is really the only way to do it. Also pictured here are a the front VTOL nacelles.

You can see the right side that I am working on tonight... (you can see the original right AEF nacelle is the center one posted here...the original angle is WAY OFF...)

This next picture shows the new version with the corrected VTOL thruster angle. These were actually the most difficult to do. I had to do it about 3 times before I got it right, but as you can see here, it vast improvement over the original AEF version:

In this picture you can see the Front Tow/Attitude thruster unit resting on the bridge module. This as far as I know was not included on the original AEF kit. I had formed and cast a pretty decent looking unit that fits on the bottom. The AEF kit shares the same details as the Yellow version of the Nostromo, Hence, I had to make a lot of new parts.

Also I redid the rear VTOL engines that were wrong on the original. Graham was able to send me the technical details of those, and they are about 99% accurate now.. but unlike the AEF kit, you glue them on yourself.

and finally the nacelles. The original were not too good.. In fact the molds were so old, they were warped out of square cross section.
in this pic you can see the new nacelle, with new cast corrugated part, extra panel details, and all square and straight. In this picture the color is off, but it is just cos I had to shoot a second batch of slightly different color resin while pouring it... only the colors of the part looks like marble. but its totally clean.

you will notice the new panels I added as well....

and here is the new docking module. on the original AEF model the parts were slightly off center..the piping was wrong, and the docking ring was slightly rotated. here is the new module, everything is centered and accurate with in a millimeter. on top of that, the detail is way crisper, and the part simply straight!

this kit is actually a combined effort of many people on this board who were helpful in providing details, critique, and suggestions. joberg, skinjob66, loyalizer and especially Spacejockey helped tons in getting stuff right with his blueprints.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being mentioned as one of the many contributors who helped you with the Nostromo model...but while reviewing all my posts, I failed to see where I suggested transformations/improvements or even sent you pictures...but if my encouragements helped you in any way, shape or form; then I'll accept them
But at the end of the day, you built, transformed, molded, sanded, cut, painted and assembled that model yourself and that, my friend, is where the hard work and the amazing results are found!
Congratulations are in order Sir!
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knightjar wrote:
That's looking really great! I love your detail work. Is there a slight twist or warp in it - or is that just the photo (the little tab in front of the ridged section and the rearmost part of the seven-sided docking assembly each look slightly off-centre, suggesting the whole assembly is slightly twisted or rotated on top of the main module)?

this is where knightjar really helped out. I did not notice this part until I photographed it and noticed the problem with the original AEF molds... but we have it fixed now!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT, impressive pics once again, the details are sharp as Hell !!! (don't know if Hell is sharp but, well, you've got the idea, right ?)

BRAVO again, again & again for all your hard work and dedication to this project !!!!

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: