FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
** recreating the NOSTROMO using the Halcyon model as ref **

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: ** recreating the NOSTROMO using the Halcyon model as ref ** Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about just getting the Halcyon model kit and essentially "cloning" the pieces so as to make various sized model kits using the Halcyon as a master mold? Would it be possible to scan the model pieces into a computer, and then through the PC resize them accordingly (so if you wanted a 6 to 12 inch or foot model, you could simply take the exact model piece and enlarge it)?

Here are some links:
http://monstersinmotion.us/ships/nostromo.html
http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Nostromo/Nostromo.html
http://www.propstore.com/nostromo.htm - for painting reference
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Halcyon kit, and another incomplete one.

Andy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont want to waste your time

I used the halcyon for some references on mine, but there are some things about it that are not correct rear VTOL, bridge windows, wingspan, docking module, no shuttle, and hull bottom is off. Sad it was claimed that the model was cast from the original, but there was no studio model 12 inches long. The actual model is closer to the size of my kits..

I do molding, but my question is, how can anything scanned be translated into a mold? doing a master and then a mold is done by hand. If a "robot" can do this, I am in the wrong hobby. It takes me days and days and days of tedious work to make clean, detailed molds...and I dont even want to go into how much the silicon costs per gallon (over 100$ a gallon, enough for 2 or three molds) out of the 35 my kit uses.. I have re-done about 12 so far.. from my 25 year old molds created by Ichiban for AEF so you can see, its a very expensive prospect, and I do it for fun, a
and the enjoyment of doing it..thats about it

The monsters in motion was a recast of the Halcyon kit done in resin, I tried to buy one, and I could not make the cart work, then I found one on ebay after they shut the project down
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too much about the technology involved; but it's been possible to scan 3d objects and transfer them to a cg model for a while; I know in my field (architectural) it's become cheap enough to take a 3d cg model and 'print' it in 3d using resin. However, it's still bloody expensive, and the reprographic companies that have the ability to do it can only produce say 12"x10"x8" models. So for something like the Nostromo you'd do it in parts. It would cost in the thousands however (well last time I checked, mid-last year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

On a personal basis I love model making as a hobby. Where is the skill in just letting a computer do it? It's a bit like giving a ten year old kid a pre-painted plane and all he has to do is snap on the wings and it's done. A load of crap.
I certainly see it's value if I was a model company or made components of doing one model like this to see how it'd look before I'd shell out the money for making a mold.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats kinda a good point. Its much more fun and interesting to build a model. I suppose I could cast mine in about 4 huge pieces, but then on my personal kit I am doing out of 'seconds" parts, I could not create a "composite" model based all the 3 different sizes of the actual studio model. basically I am free to interperate the model how I see it, and if the model is almost completely finished and detailed as a kit, then it is difficult to add more or try to change it from the original formed part.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, and the Halcyon model would be a nice one to build, it would be difficult to modify and correct it. Vinyl does not sand down very well Razz but in anycase, I wish members here would post some of their halcyon model pics, cos It is a cool model and I have seen soen some pretty cool pics, like that canadian one..
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtparker wrote:
thats kinda a good point. Its much more fun and interesting to build a model. I suppose I could cast mine in about 4 huge pieces, but then on my personal kit I am doing out of 'seconds" parts, I could not create a "composite" model based all the 3 different sizes of the actual studio model. basically I am free to interperate the model how I see it, and if the model is almost completely finished and detailed as a kit, then it is difficult to add more or try to change it from the original formed part.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, and the Halcyon model would be a nice one to build, it would be difficult to modify and correct it. Vinyl does not sand down very well Razz but in anycase, I wish members here would post some of their halcyon model pics, cos It is a cool model and I have seen soen some pretty cool pics, like that canadian one..

Well, the whole idea was to try and find an easiER way to go about various Nostromo models and model sizes. Maybe it is just a matter of technology catching up (like always), but I've seen the images of the Halcyon model and it looks pretty accurate - it just would be cool to take that mold (plus some mods if need be) and create a program that could scan individual pieces in 3D so you could resize them at will.

For example: if you scanned the front pod or even just the bridge pod, you would have the X, Y and Z axis measurements. With those, you could multiply (2x, 4x, etc) the size you want, use a CAD program to add detail to larger pieces, save the finished 3D "piece" and then have it created maybe via one of those water cutters like what you see on AMERICAN CHOPPER (which I know is more attuned to metal than plastic, but you get the idea).

Granted, this would be more in line for a company that made models en masse or on request, but an idea none-the-less.

JT: I agree that I wish people would post images of their Halcyon Nostromo kits, and it would even be interesting to see some side-by-side comparisons between a Halcyon finished model to what you are working on...

For those who may be reading this, consider this an invitation to post your Halcyon Nostromo images here...
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The halcyon, the micro machines, anything that anyone has would be welcomed on the Nostromo buliding tips and tricks thread, it main purpose is reference pics and various examples of Nostromo models.. not just mine
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning and recreating a model may sound easy, but the expense itself starts in the thousands of dollars. CnC cutting is also very expensive, and no way able to do what we need. It only cuts flat material.

A 3D printer would be what you are thinking about, and again very, very expensive. Not to mention the parts come out rough and need a ton of clean up.

It might be worth scanning one of the original film used models perhaps. Not an inaccurate model kit. Space Jockey's Blue prints would be much more effective of doing what we need anyway. At least until the original blue prints show up. Still a CAD model of these will be very cool. Also they would probabaly not be totally accurate, because they would all be works in progress, and would not show the greeblies attached, and in many cases, the final models would have differed. Space Jockey's plans will still be the best thing we can get in the long run. No need to scan nothing.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on the net not long ago a manufacturer of a desk-top-machine-producing-plastic lettering, cups and small objects: starting price at $6000 a piece. With the help of their program you can design 3D pieces (10 inches x 6 inches max.) and right besides you is that other unit creating it layer by layer in hard plastic...the result is amazing, but expensive Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: