FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Creating the White Dragon neon sign: could you believe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Creating the White Dragon neon sign: could you believe? Reply with quote

Well, some ideas come to my head while reading the spinner44.com thread about White Dragon. In fact, I have it earlier, and looking for it hard...

I'm talking of the nice neon sign over the White Dragon. This flashing figure of a chinese dragon, with red tongue.... I have not a clear image of it for now (but I will work on that!), but I will check at local signs maker for a quote. I think it COULD BE made real. For a price, of course...

What do you think?

I have a lot of work with the Fan Book project, but checking some mad ideas is not a lot of if ... Smile

spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my post in my other thread.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner44.com wrote:
Read my post in my other thread.

This one?:

Quote:
Thanks guys! Wait till you see other project I'm working on. It glows and it will fit on my desk.

mmmm... will wait for news... Very Happy
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a project that used EL wire and done at a 1:2 scale or so would be a nice displayable compromise.

Also, I think that a totally accurate dragon sign would be kinda ugly, honestly. Look at the picture above and you'll notice some real shoddy design and workmanship in places. I really dislike the airbrushed scales. A new version that was 80- 90% "inspired" by what we see in BR would be something I'd like in my office, rather than a giant buzzing neon monstrosity!

That's just my opinion of course.

Nick
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdaring wrote:
I think a project that used EL wire and done at a 1:2 scale or so would be a nice displayable compromise.

Also, I think that a totally accurate dragon sign would be kinda ugly, honestly. Look at the picture above and you'll notice some real shoddy design and workmanship in places. I really dislike the airbrushed scales. A new version that was 80- 90% "inspired" by what we see in BR would be something I'd like in my office, rather than a giant buzzing neon monstrosity!

That's just my opinion of course.

Nick

I agree with that. A 1:2 or 1:3 scale model could be enough. And some details must be omitted, others, enhanced. Some jaggies in the neon tubes are ugly... I will think about an "ideal" Dragon sign based in the real one.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was going to hold off discussing the exact project until it was further along, but I guess I'll just let you guys in on more of the details.

I am currently working on an EL miniature scaled piece. The base will be inspired by the sushi stand architecture with a backlit White dragon logo on the front presentation side. The sign will be mounted on the top. It will roughly stand 10" tall by about 14" wide. It will be driven by AC power, white EL, red blinking tongue and yellow eyes.

A certain person has presented me with actual production artwork that I am using to create a new, clean design for the sign. Kind of what Nick is thinking of. The sign itself will be laser cut in plastic with vinyl decals on the sides. Those squiggly details you speak of are actually legs and feet that can't be seen to well from the angle the sign was shot at. They actually protrude out, intersecting the sign core. They just look like messy lines because of the angle. I assure you, they aren't.

Right now I am experimenting with finding the right diameter EL wire. The 5mm which I have right now is too thick with its casing so I have ordered 2.5mm to see how that will work.

That it for now. BTW, these are NFS.

-
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds exactly like I was hoping someone would make. Smile

Yeah, those 3-D arm things look wierd on screen. You don't register them as arms.

Can't wait to what you do with this project.

Nick
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinner44 wrote

"That it for now. BTW, these are NFS."

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

now that the tears have fallen...can't wait to see this puppy....er I mean dragon
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4yearlifespan wrote:
Spinner44 wrote

"That it for now. BTW, these are NFS."

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

now that the tears have fallen...can't wait to see this puppy....er I mean dragon

Well, it's only a future project. For now, too much work for me with Fan Book... Very Happy
olsonspeed
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: White Dragon Reply with quote

Great! I obviously love the dragon sign. Does anyone know what happened to the original movie prop? I would think that it wouldn't have been destroyed because of the time and expense to construct it, and a neon dragon, who wouldn't want one of these in their rec room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: