FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Final Cut regular, plain ol' DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Final Cut regular, plain ol' DVD Reply with quote

Well, in light of the apparent triumph of Blu-ray in the next gen format war, it is obvious that Sony is the way to go to view our favorite movie.

However, now that they have a stranglehold on the market, I really don't see the price of the players coming down anytime soon which is going to preclude me from jumping in with both feet.

So what I am curious about for those of you who have the remastered Final Cut edition of BR in regular DVD flavor is how noticible is the upgrade in quality vs. the Director's Cut that we all own and sometimes love?

I'll be using my XBox 360's upconverting to watch them at 1080p and I really would hate to get caught in a Lucasian upgrade loop by eventually buying the Blu-ray version when player prices come down after I have already purchased the regular DVD edition.

So what say you all? Does the immediate gratification outweigh the price of knowing that you're going to have to double dip this release?

Thanks,
Bruce
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question, Karl. I've been putting off investing in the briefcase version until the format war was finished, not wanting to get the wrong one. Now, I'll be saving up for the Blu-Ray version, even though I don't have a player yet.

Hopefully, Sony will learn from the BetaMax debacle and license the Blu-Ray technology to other manufacturers, which will lead to lower prices and more market infiltration (and thus more revenue for them).
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Well I only became a member of this forum after buying the regular DVD Breif Case version of Blade Runner and becoming obsessed with it (I rushed out and bought a blaster and marvelled at everybody else's creations on this site). I never bothered with the original DVD release as I heard it wasn't much cop and have come straight from my Director's Cut LaserDisc version.

I always thought the film was kinda ok - but not outstanding..... until I saw the Final Cut on regular DVD and suddenly it has become one of my favourite films of the moment - I have watched it 3 times since XMas and am trying to hold off watching it too many times!!!!

The quality of the DVD is outstanding considering the age of the film and that it's the regular DVD format - you have to see it on a big screen - thankfully I'm very lucky to have a huge projector screen which makes an incredible difference - if there was one reason for investing in a projector, it's this film!!

The one noticable improvement is the sound which literally blows you away (mainly because of the bass extension!!!) - the Vangelis soundtrack has never sounded so good especially in 5.1 - anyone who isn't moved by the hades opening is covering their ears and has their eyes shut!!! The thing with blade runner is that it's always gonna have that soft look because of the smoke filled scenes - but I don't think it has ever looked so good - which really did it for me - which makes me believe that despite having a fantastic story and all, it's as much a visual odyssey as it is a philosophical and spirital one.

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion. I wouldn't wait too long mind, in case all the briefcase editions sell out - it's worth every penny (or cents depending on where you are!!!)

Thanks,

Chris
________
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Advice

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the available versions of the movie, in all formats and media available in the past and the future... LOL, e.g., Workprint, DC and FC in VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, CED, 8mm, DVD, BlueRay, HD DVD... Well, I must admit. DVD version of FC is GREAT compared with DC versions. But Blue Ray and HD DVD are SUPERB respect this DVD FC version. They are comparisons made in the Net to demonstrate this point. BRay and HD DVD versions are crisp, clear and detailed to the most insignificant point. If the decision must be ONE and ONLY ONE version, I will buy, today, a Blue Ray edition.

In my case, this is not a choice. I wanna have all the editions made and future ones... but, this is another story... Very Happy Thanks to Toshiba decission, is possible that HD DVD FC Spanish version will be not released as prevision said, the next March 3. Will be a hole in my collection... Sad

Bad news for HD player buyers...

Oh... I'm interested in HD Player! 220V, must say. Smile
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the BluRay edition and it's a sight to behold. Every time I watch it (about 7 times since December) I'm amazed at the quality of the whole thing. It really is amazing. I'd definitely recommend it.

If you must get a BluRay player, get a PS3 (if you're technologically inclined at all). It can stream media from your computer if you have a wireless network so you can listen to your music library, videos and photos in your living room, its firmware can be upgraded (whereas most other BR players can't) and upscales regular DVDs so they look fantastic.

Of course it also helps that it's a videogame console, for me at least, since I'm a huge videogame dork.
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the DVD briefcase, and I've got the original Director's Cut on DVD, and there's just no comparison AT ALL. The Director's cut is murky, with not enough contrast. The FC, even the DVD version, is crisp and clean and full of depth. It's almost a revelation, seeing how much you've been missing...

Even if you don't get the briefcase -- though I think it's completely worth it for $60-$70 -- it's worth getting the FC on its own. Cleaned up effects, a few added scenes (well, moments -- but they really do help flesh out the world), clearer picture...

I feel like an advertisement! Smile
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few different versions of the film as well as the Laser Disc versions. The original DVD of the DC is pretty much crap, but the gritty dark image is what so many people like, and even feel it gives more "texture" to the movie. Similar to What Paul M Sammon said about the workprint.

The other unique thing about the original DC DVD is that it has the "full Screen" version on the flip side that does seem to show a bit of the frame that the widescreen doesn't. I can't say why this is, but it means they may have trimmed down the widescreen to get the aspect ratio they wanted. I may have to recheck this though and could be mistaken.

The Remastered DC is actually quite nice and I think a little bit brighter than the version on the 25th Anniv sets. I think when they did the latest version of the FC too they actually darkened it just a bit to keep it closer to the film everybody remembers.

I have finally seen all of the extras and comentaries on the Box set. It is like a college class in a box and I soaked it all up, and have gone back to watch much of it several times over. I haven't sat through all the variant theatrical and DC cuts yet, but it is good to have them anyway.

Now I just what the new (and complete) 'Future Noir' to be released in the US, and the 'Art of Blade Runner' book to be made dammit' Wink

Andy
aerodyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the regular NTSC DVD briefcase, for the extras, reasoning that I'd pick up whatever HD PAL format was around at the time when we moved on from our existing 28" CRT to a larger LCD. If it'll be Blu-Ray, so be it. I've no brand loyalty, save for being saddened that Sony are the de facto 'winners'.

andy wrote:
and the 'Art of Blade Runner' book to be made dammit' Wink

Andy

Oh yes. Smile I've a small collection of random publications, most recently the Syd Mead Techno Fantasy Art portfolio, with three BR pre-production pieces I was not previously aware of. A proper art compilation would be a sight to behold. As an example, look at the Star Wars Chronicles (originally a Japanese book) and the similar work by the same Japanese publisher that dealt with Star Trek. Expensive, but superb production values. Sad
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who've taken the time to give their insight.

It sounds like this is something I will need to order from Amazon.com pretty soon, but I think I may just get the 4-disc DVD version to hold me over and pick up the 5-disc Collector's Edition in Blu-ray at some point down the line (after the 2.0 profile is standardized and prices come down).

Thanks again for your opinions.

Bruce
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Future Noir Reply with quote

I just picked up a copy of the hardbound 2007 edition of Future Noir via Amazon.com - it was actually through a bookseller called SuperBookDeals.com - if I had ordered direct I would have saved like $2-3 but since I already had an Amazon account it was just easier ordering through them. I'm assuming you've already picked up a copy andy, but in case you haven't or for anyone else interested, here's the link: http://www.superbookdeals.com/cgi-bin/moreinfo.cgi?item=5174700&bisac= It's going for $30.02 plus shipping.

And much like ChrisNightingale, my interest in Blade Runner was really revived when I too picked up the 5-disc briefcase edition. I remembered that had had looked around for a blaster replica 5-6 years ago, but never got around to buying one... then after watching the FC, I was like yeah, I think I'll take a look again... found this website, bought a kit, and now have been spending entirely too much money on building up my prop replica collection! And probably spending too much time on here as well.... heh! But I'm enjoying it very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: